In the Os*y Chapel of the Cathedral of Otranto, Italy, the remaining parts of the casualties of a slaughter in 1480 direct the high sacred place straddled by rich gold candle holders. The most acclaimed casualty of the Massacre was Antonio Primaldo who was the first to lose his head to the attacking Turks. When his body hit the ground it stood upright – headless – and even a bull couldn’t move him. He stayed remaining until the last exploited person was killed.
The Os*y Chapel of San Martino Della Battaglia in Italy is the most ordered of all the bone houses on this list. Row upon row, column upon column of human remains rest in perfect order as if they were books in a macabre library. In all there are 2,619 deceased here with 1,274 skulls.
St Hilaire Cemetery
By no means the most extravagant collection of bones on this list, the St Hilaire cemetery in Marville, France gets its beauty from simplicity. It is unique in that may of the skulls are housed in small cabinets inscribed with funerary inscriptions.
Chapel of Bones
The Chapel of Bones is in the Church of Nossa Senhora do Carmo in Faro, Portugal. In addition to the walls and ceilings of bones of members of the religious Carmelite order, death is even found underfoot where the paving stones are headstones for the deceased priors and local dignitaries.
The skulls at the Chapel of St Michael in Hallstatt, Austria are renowned for having been painted. The painted skulls are all male as they were outlasted by their wives who might adorn them. Sadly the wives’ remaining parts were left to their kids who were less concerned with enlivening the dead so they stay unpainted.
The Sedlec (Os*y of All Saints) in the Czech Republic is a standout amongst the most celebrated bone houses on the planet. It doesn’t simply let the bones go – it utilizes them as extreme dreadful beautifications. It is particularly extremely popular for the enormous crystal fixture made totally of human remains – some piece of which can be seen in the upper left of this photograph.
This bonneted lady can be found in the Chapel of Virgins in the Crypt of the Monastery of Santa Maria Della Pace in Palermo, Italy. She is one of four virgins placed on a ledge holding palm fronds signifying the triumph of faith.
Vincenzo Piccini is the only clothed mummy in the Chiesa Dei Morti of the Confrternity of Buona Morte in Urbania, Italy. He is dressed in the robes of the religious order he was a member of and he wears the silver badge of death.
The Bones of St Pancratius are found at the Church of St Niklaus in Wil, Switzerland. He was initially robed in garments by nuns in the late 1600s however in 1777 – the centennial of his bones touching base in Wil – he was wearing this glorious dispatched suit of defensive layer.
St Gratianus is enrobed in rich jewels and fine fabric befitting his state as a martyr. It is known he died for his faith because his bones stand above a chalice filled with dried blood. His remains are on display in the Basilica of Waldsassen in Germany.