1,212 total views, 2 views today
Construction Started : 1626 AD
Construction Completed : 1656 AD
Maintained By : Archeological Survey of India (ASI)
Where is it Located : Bijapur, Karnataka, India
Why was it Built : To mark the tomb of Mohammed Adil Shah
Dimensions : 47.5 metres (156 ft) on each side, capped by a dome 44 m (144 ft) in external diameter
Materials Used : Dark grey basalt
Architectural Style : Deccan Indo-Islamic
Mohammed Adil shah began development of his own tomb to cover his mortal stays directly after his climb to the position of royalty in 1626. Mohammed Adil shah expected to work for himself a sepulcher similar and conceivably more excellent in scale than the Ibrahim Rauza, the tomb of his dad, Ibrahim Adil Shah II. The organization and ornamentation of the Ibrahim Rauza is uncommonly complicated and excellent.
Going for estimate, the Gol Gumbaz was arranged as a mammoth single load structure and stays one of the greatest on the planet till date. The development of the tomb proceeded all through Mohammed Adil Shah’s administration however couldn’t be executed to full degree because of the sudden destruction of the Sultan in 1656. Covered alongside the Sultan are his two spouses, Taj Jahan Begum and Aroos Bibi, his escort Rambha, his little girl and his grandson.
Outline, Architecture and Structure
The Gol Gumbaz, otherwise called Gol Gumbadh, was outlined by an engineer named Yaqut of Dabul. Dabul, otherwise called Dabhol, is a little seaport town in Ratnagiri District, Maharashtra, India. The sepulcher has been worked in dull dim Basalt stone and the exterior is improved with mortar. It is lived together in a complex with different structures like a dharamshala (a straightforward motel), a mosque and different structures alongside a delightful, very much looked after garden.
The compositional style of the building is Deccan Indo-Islamic which is an ideal conversion of Indo-Islamic and Dravidian engineering. Deccan rulers delivered their very own free style, to a great extent overlooking the locally prevalent engineering styles and, were principally impacted by the Persian and Mughal compositional subtleties.
The tomb is a mammoth shape finished with a hemispherical arch. The whole structure is fitted on a 600 feet platform. The arch is the second biggest on the planet, with a measurement of very nearly 600 feet, next just to St. Subside’s Basillica in Rome. It is one of the biggest single structure chambers on the planet, and the space it encases (just about 1700 sq.meters) is the biggest on the planet secured by a solitary vault. Lovely petals covering the drum are cut at its base. Staircases in the dividers of the fundamental building lead to the seven-story octagonal tower at each of the four corners.
Every story has seven curved windows and all are topped by littler vaults. The seven stories of the towers are divided by an anticipating cornice and a column of curved openings denoting each level. An expansive eighth story exhibition, available by twisting staircases in the four towers, circles the vault and hangs out at around 3.3 m. This exhibition is an acoustic wonder and is known as the “Whispering Gallery”. A honorable bit of structural building, this stunning reverberation framework mirrors any stable for more than eleven times. It has been outlined such that one can even hear the faintest tick of a watch over a separation of around 37 meters inside the huge vault.
The establishment of the tomb is developed to lay on the bedrock which was attempted to keep any unequal settlement. One of a kind design normal for the structure is the utilization of pendentives to neutralize the external push of the vault and has not been utilized anyplace else in India. Utilization of such cunning structures shows the modernity of the engineering of the period. The pendentives have an expansive focal curve, bested by a cornice of dim basalt additionally delegated by a line of little curves conveying a moment line of plain work holding a balustrade of 1.8 mheight over it.
The engravings over the south and principle passage say the date of Muhammad Adil Shah’s demise as 4 November 1656. A “bijlipathar” hangs over the primary passage. It is a shooting star that had fallen amid the Sultan’s lead and is accepted to shield the stone from lightning. The fundamental tomb corridor houses a square platform with ventures on each of the four sides. In the center is the cenotaph, set apart by an expand wooden baldachin, the correct area of the grave of the Sultan is shown.
A Nakkar Khana or the music display misleads the south side, incomplete, as the minars were never stretched out over the roofline. It is currently houses an exhibition hall.